Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Emma's Birth Story

Emma was born on Monday May 14, 2007

Here is our story...

Monday morning at 7:30am Jon, Grandma Cindy, and I arrived at the hospital. We got checked in and found that I was 1-2 cm dilated and only 20% effaced. The nurse called in a report to the doctor and they decided to insert a pill called Cytotec into my cervix to "soften" it. That has to stay in for 4 hours then I was checked again.

At the 4 hour mark I hadn't really dilated, but the pill did manage to take my cervix to 90% effaced (which means it was almost completely thinned out, which you need to dilate). The nurse said they would go ahead and put a second pill in and wait another 4 hours. Lucky for me the doctor came in and decided to be more aggressive with my labor, and broke my water.

So at about Noon my water was broken, and within 15 min, I was in hard labor, with contractions coming one on top of another. The Doctor said I could have an epidural at any time, and the nurse encouraged me to get it before my water was broken. But me, not having experienced labor before, opted to wait awhile, so I could feel what contractions were like, and see if it was really as bad as people say. Yeah what was I thinking! It was miserable, and I was dieing for the epi within a half hour.

Labor was so painful, and my body was not giving me a brake. Jon and Cindy really helped me get through those long and painful 2 hours and 45min . Finally the "Take Away The Pain" doctor arrived and gave me an epidural. I was in heaven, for a little while. The pain was gone, but the epidural worked too well, and the medicine was working it's way up my body making everything numb from the chest down. The epidural also dropped my blood pressure to a dangerously low level. So for the next hour I had to lay on my side with oxygen on and a nurse standing over me making sure I didn't get any worse. Luckily I didn't, but soon after my blood pressure somewhat stabilized I started feeling the contractions again, as well as having terrible back pain. (Now here is where I tell anybody reading this that is planning on having a baby not to eat anything while in labor, even if the staff tells you it is a good idea. Puking your guts out on top of the pain of contractions just sucks.)

The nurse called the Anesthesiologist and told him the epi wasn't working, but he pretty much said, it was in right, and there was nothing he could do for back labor. SO...
Back to suffering for the next 3 hours. FINALLY, another "Take Away The Pain" Doctor was called and came up to find that my epidural site was bleeding more then normal, and he felt that it had pulled out and that was why it wasn't working. He then decided to redo the entire thing. He gave me a dose and said he would check on my in 15 min.

10 min after the new epi went in, Dr. Jyung came in and noticed that I was in a lot of pain still. He wasn't going to check me because I was just checked 20 min before and was only 6cm dilated. But he decided to check and make sure I wasn't going to surprise them. Well, I did, because when he checked me I was complete and ready to push!

The doctor walked out of the room and told the nurse to let me try pushing. So, we tried a few practice pushes, and she told me not to push anymore and went into turbo mode getting the room ready for the baby. She then called down to the nurses station and asked that the doctor come back in. Well, he was taking his time getting back, stopping to get some hot chocolate assuming that I had awhile until I needed him. Well that wasn't the case at all, and the nurse ran out into the hall and yelled that he needed to get there NOW!

The doctor came in and I almost had her out already. He couldn't find any gloves, and I just prayed that someone would give him some so I could get this baby out! 10min of pushing and out she came. She was very healthy. Her APGAR scores where 9 and 10 (10 is perfect). Jon and I couldn't have been happier to finally have her. We know how blessed we are to have such a healthy and beautiful baby.

The doctor said that they needed to rewrite the manual for first time mother deliveries. I guess it is normal for first time mothers to labor 12-14 hours and to push for up to 3 hours. So again I was very blessed. I would do it again in a min, to have such a wonderful blessing as a new baby.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice story! Maybe they will make a movie about it someday. I know our little girl is a star already.

Just wanted you guys to know how much I appreciate the time and effort you put in for this blog. I look forward to reading the little tidbits and especially seeing if there are any new pictures posted. I know Emma will really appreciate it when she is all grown and ready to have a little one of her own someday. Keep up the great work!!!

It was great visiting with your wonderful little family tonight. What a truly calm and homey place now that the guessing game is over (for now). Come to think of it the guessing games have really only started...comes with parent hood...sorry no instruction manual provided! You both are doing absolutely fantastic. Your little girl is blessed to have such a loving Mommy and Daddy.

Anonymous said...

Well, I think you're a wimp and you should have done it without the epidural. NOT!!!! haha You did a wonderful job. I love you!
Heidi